Fun Arts and Crafts Activities for Kids to Celebrate Roald Dahl
The 13th September 2020 was Roald Dahl day! Roald Dahl is one of the most esteemed children’s authors to have ever lived. It is rare to find someone who HAS NOT heard of Roald Dahl or read some of his stories. If Roald Dahl were still alive today, he would be 103 years old! Some of Roald Dahl’s most famous works include Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The BFG. Many of Roald Dahl’s stories have been adapted into films, reminding us of how truly unique and brilliant Roald Dahl’s books are.
Our series of blogs this week celebrate Roald Dahl and his incredible literary legacy. How can we celebrate Roald Dahl?
There are lots of fun and creative ways for kids (and adults!) to celebrate Roald Dahl and show appreciation for him and his outstanding contributions to children’s literature.
- Design your own chocolate bar and sweets, taking inspiration from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Downloadable templates available here.
- Write a prequel or sequel to your favourite Roald Dahl story.
- Take inspiration from The Fantastic Mr Fox and create a paper plate fox. Instructions here.
- Make your own dream jars, taking inspirations from BFG! Follow these instructions.
Do you have more ideas about how we can celebrate Roald Dahl!? Share them with us over on Instagram @jaquesoflondon. If you use one of our ideas to commemorate Roald Dahl, make sure you share that with us too!
Reading is a vital life skill. In particular, reading fiction provides the following…
- Sparks imagination and creativity.
- Inspires kids to write their own stories.
- Improves word recognition.
- Broadens understanding of vocabulary and the meaning of different words.
- Provides kids with an escape from reality and the opportunity to get drawn into fictional worlds.
- Provides points for discussion.
- Improves listening skills, on sight writing knowledge and perseverance to read books all the way to the end.
- Improves inference, prediction, and comprehension skills.
- Develops key skills needed in school, giving an educational head start.
Join the Anti Screen Revolution here. Our ‘Let’s…’ ranges are designed to have multiple benefits for kids, including personal and academic development. Check out our Let’s Play, our Let’s Learn and Let’s Pretend ranges for toys and games packed full of benefits.