Christmas Baking for Kids
Get your kids involved in creating a festive feast for all the family! Within this blog post you will find instructions which will guide you in making 3 straightforward, yet scrumptious, snacks.
Did you know that baking has numerous developmental benefits for kids?
Here are some of the benefits:
- Understanding of quantity.
- Confidence in measuring set amounts.
- Fine motor skills.
- Real life skills.
- Self confidence.
- Time away from the screen.
- Ability to read and understand instructions.
Recipe 1: Christmas Tree Shortbread
150g plain flour
Christmas Tree shape cutter
Any embellishments such as edible glitter or silver balls.
First, preheat your oven to 150-180 degrees.
Measure out your ingredients in advance.
Break up the butter.
Mix together with flour to form small crumbs.
Get your sugar and add it to the mixture to form dough.
Cover the dough and leave in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
Then, it is time to roll to dough.
Use your Christmas tree mould to cut the dough into the required shape.
Pop the dough onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
Once cooled, enjoy your festive sweet treat.
Recipe 2: Gingerbread 3 Wise Men
- Plain flour; 350g
- Bicarbonate of soda
- Ground ginger
- Golden syrup
- 1 large egg
- Decorations such as icing and chocolate buttons
- Get your 350g of flour and pour into your mixing bowl.
- Weigh out 100g of butter and add to the bowl.
- To make a crumb consistency, rub the butter into the flour.
- Measure 175g of sugar and add to the bowl.
- Add 2tsp of ground ginger and 1tsp of bicarbonate of soda.
- To the mixture, add 4 tbsp of golden syrup.
- Crack the egg and add to the mixture.
- Ensure all your ingredients are mixed together. Keep mixing until a smooth dough is formed.
- Roll out the dough - roughly 10mm thick.
- Use a gingerbread man cutter to get the desired shape for your biscuits.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the gingerbread men darken.
- If you want to decorate your gingerbread man with eyes, a mouth, buttons etc then allow to cool before doing so.
- Voila! Yummy gingerbread men for your enjoyment.
Recipe 3: Cheese Straws
Grated cheese; 100g
Parmesan cheese; 50g
1 medium egg
- Get your oven preheated to 220 degree or gas 7.
- Add the grate cheese to a mixing bowl.
- Use a sieve to add the flour.
- Add pepper.
- Cut your butter into small chunks and add to the mixture.
- Rub the mixture with your hands until crumbs are formed.
- Add the egg (yolk only).
- Mould the dough into a ball.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface.
- Roll the dough into a rectangular shape.
- Cut the dough into strips - roughly 2-4cm wide.
- Place on a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes (or until the straws are golden).
- Leave to cool and then enjoy!
Share pictures of your tasty treats on socials! Check out our range of play food for your budding young chefs.